Exuberant Animal teacher-training is ideal for anyone who wishes to further their professional and personal development. Our comprehensive training program goes beyond the physical arts. Exuberant Animal teacher-trainers are well-rounded professionals and cultural leaders. Not only are they adept at leading functional movement classes, they can also speak with authority on modern health challenges.
why become an exuberant animal trainer?
- unique opportunity to do something incredibly meaningful
- new challenges will deepen your knowledge and skills
- meet and train with some incredibly exciting people
- access to comprehensive, cutting-edge content
- access to The Exuberant Animal Collection, a digital collection of functional movements and games
- Exuberant Animal CEUs (may or may not be accepted by your organization) Sample
- a chance to grow professionally and develop a sense of "long body leadership"
Aspiring teacher-trainers will learn...
- foundational concepts in human biology, neuroscience, ecology, psychology and life arts
- functional movement principles
- long body leadership and health activism
- presentation and speaking skills, including subject-matter competence in human biology and fields related to health and the human predicament
- powerful general principles for teaching and leading events
The ideal applicant will have previous experience in movement arts, physical training, athletic conditioning, health and/or medicine. He or she will have read widely in the fields of biology, ecology, health and psychology. Experience in the martial arts is highly desirable. Personal training, coaching or yoga experience is also valuable. Prior speaking experience is also a plus.
Certification in the Exuberant Animal system requires a substantial commitment of both time and energy. Aspiring movement teachers must complete the following:
- Attend one classic 3 day training
- Attend at least one 5-day teacher training (This is the minimum requirement. Depending on proficiency and experience, trainees may be asked to attend additional events or seek additional practice.)
- Demonstrate the ability to deliver movement classes and presentations with the Exuberant Animal "look and feel"
- Substantial reading from the recommended list
- Pass a comprehensive exam on material presented in the 3 day trainings
- Pay a one-time licensing fee to use the Exuberant Animal® name
- Attend one Exuberant Animal event each year to maintain currency
- Pay annual dues
- Provide proof of insurance appropriate to your working environment
- Maintain any additional certifications (CPR, etc) as appropriate.
On completion of the requirements, you'll receive a certificate, a cow bell (for leading movement classes), a listing on the Exuberant Animal website, a website badge to use on your own website, and the go-ahead to conduct movement classes with the look and feel of Exuberant Animal.
Once you're certified as an Exuberant Animal movement teacher (brown belt level), you'll be expected to practice regularly. You'll be...
- leading and refining your movement classes
- reading from the recommend list
- practicing your speaking skills in front of various audiences. See these guidelines for effective presentations.
- attending an annual Exuberant Animal event
- reporting in regularly with your insights, questions and progress
You'll also be following a progression of increasingly difficult challenges. Begin with single cycles of movement-presentation-meditation-social break. (This is roughly equivalent to an hour-and-a-half class.) Master the flow and details of this single cycle and once you're comfortable, add another and so on.
black belt rank and exam
To be considered for the rank of Exuberant Animal black belt, you'll need to fulfill the following requirements:
- show evidence of your practice and progress in the form of videos, logbooks or other documentation
- show evidence of spoken presentations to diverse groups
- pass a rigorous, comprehensive written exam on principles of human evolution, the modern predicament, public health, neuroscience, health psychology and related disciplines.
- produce and deliver a classic 3-day jam with the Exuberant Animal look and feel. This is a serious undertaking that requires substantial experience and preparation. This event will be observed by Frank Forencich. (Fee required.)
Total time to black belt is 2-5 years.
If you're interested in becoming an Exuberant Animal trainer, please describe your background, experience and interests on this form: